MPI’s Level 3 Maintenance Specification training is the definitive course on maintenance repainting with a focus on how to assure success and avoid costly do-overs when working on buildings and commercial/institutional structures. Completion of this course is considered a requirement and specified on Repainting coatings projects.
Note: MPI Level 2 Architectural Specification successful completion required before starting this course.
- How to write basic paint specifications for maintenance projects
- Identify common flaws and defects in existing coatings/substrates
- Evaluate existing condition of 25 of the most commonly used architectural substrates with MPI’s DSD (Degree of Surface Degradation) System
- How to select an appropriate system depending on substrate, DSD level of existing coating and exposure environment
- Best practices for surface preparation
- Basic quality control techniques
Course Format: Course is online. Exam is online and requires photo ID and Zoom
Designation Received: MPI Maintenance Coating Specialist (MCS)
Duration: 90 days to complete exam from date of registration
Exam Format: Proctored exam, taken online via Zoom
Minimum Passing Grade: 75% or greater to pass
MPI Level 1 Essentials of Paint and Painting Technology
MPI Level 2 Architectural Specification
Required for: MPI Level 4 Quality Assurance
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will receive:
Digital award of completion and digital badge for use in email signatures.